Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Learning your ABC's

Almost every Wednesday night, I have campaigners with two or more of my Young Life girls. It usually consists of of dinner and conversation followed by a small devotional...that usually opens up the group to dig deeper.

Tonight, I had two girls. We went to Natural Cafe...and things we going as usual. I got to the point where I shared my devotional. It started it out like this...

Today didn't go as I planned. I missed my alarm because the volume was down on my phone. I woke up at the time I should have been walking out the door. Great!? Luckily, I had set out my clothes the night before, so I just threw on my clothes, brushed my teeth, set the timer on my coffee night before so I just had to pour it in my cups and go, and a hair tie and ran out the door. Yup, no makeup today. As I got in the car, I said out loud " this is not a good start to my day..." I decided right then to offer my day to God. "whatever happens today is yours". I got to work 2 minutes late and so began the busy day.

45 minutes into my work day, Felipe called me at work. He informed me that he got a call from his mom. The doctor had called her to tell her that they found two masses in her brain. They had caught it early and treatments would start soon. The "worried me" checked in and I was right back where I started. I caught myself thinking and started to pray that God would take control and do what He said He would do--that He would go before me.

I read to them about fear and told them that Jesus is our peace. I continued by saying that I'm glad that He goes before me. That I don't need to fear since He has written my story for me--he is the Victor. I felt the peace that He promised.

The conversation was all over the place from babies to homosexuality and finally led to "how do you know where you go when you die"? They looked at me with that "deer in the headlights" look. They didn't know--even as many times as we talked about it--they didn't know the answer. I took the opportunity to explain the ABC's of asking Jesus in their hearts. I explained that when I followed the ABC's, it changed everything about me for good. That I wanted to live my life for Him. I explained that Christianity is not just about being "good", but to share about Him--the "good news". I used a "Kelly analogy" and explained that it would be like me knowing that Victoria's Secret was having a sale on underwear, them NEEDING underwear, but then not telling them about the sale! (I try to keep things upbeat-just go with it) That's it though!

I could see them thinking through to piece it all together in their minds.

...I'd like to tell that I led them to Christ in the 3rd booth at Natural Cafe, but I didn't. I will just continue to walk with them and be the best example that I can of someone who chooses daily to serve God or myself.

No comments: